- Investment Expertise
We are committed to supporting the insurance sector and have a dedicated insurance solutions team.
We’re finding that an increasing number of institutional, pension fund and high-net-worth investors are turning to private equity in order to enhance their portfolio performance.
- Our insight
The House View process provides a consistent macroeconomic framework to analysing global financial markets.
Our Head of Global Strategy, Andrew Milligan, introduces the latest edition of Global Outlook, a summary of our House View.
Standard Life Investments’ Global Strategy team provide regular analysis of the key economic data that has been influencing financial markets.
Our global strategists combine valuable experience, thorough research and analysis to tackle major issues of the moment.
Governance and stewardship is about making sure that companies’ operational processes and policies are robust and responsible.
- How we discharge our stewardship responsibilities
- Our policy for managing conflicts of interests
- How we monitor our investee companies
- Our guidelines for escalating engagement
- Our willingness to act collectively with other investors
- Our policy on voting and voting disclosure
- How we report on stewardship to our clients
We recognise the importance of transparency and accountability when it comes to our stewardship responsibilities. To this end, we have published an annual review of our governance and stewardship activities, which provides an account of how we have fulfilled our responsibilities. Please select the link below to view the 2015 annual review.2015 annual review
- Responsible Investment
We recognise that the management of environmental and social responsibilities is subject to many factors, and take into account the particular circumstances, industries and locations in which the companies operate.
We've produced guidelines on responsible investment to explain how we evaluate the environmental and social policies of the companies in which we are (or might be) an investor.
Our experience in operating across many different investment cycles and markets provides us with the context to manage change. Throughout these cycles, we have the people, philosophy and proficiency of process to plot what we believe is the right course for our clients’ assets.
- Secure content
Risk management and control
For all investment portfolios, proper risk management and control are vital to avoid exposing investors to any unnecessary risk. We rigorously monitor and manage risk at a number of different levels, from individual portfolios up to company level risk. For our multi-asset portfolios, there is a particular requirement to understand portfolio risk and how all our investment positions might interact within the portfolio. For this reason, we have dedicated teams of risk specialists whose role is to support the managers of our various multi-asset products.
Our extensive risk management expertise and infrastructure allow us to effectively monitor, understand and control risk across our diverse range of multi-asset portfolios.
There are four distinct groups engaged in our multi-asset risk management process.
- The multi-asset risk and structuring team is an integral part of the multi-asset investing team (MAIT). It provides our multi-asset managers with ongoing insight into the risk profiles of portfolios and of individual investment positions. The risk specialists use both proprietary and industry standard tools to measure and monitor risk.
- Working independently of the MAIT, the investment risk team monitors performance and risk of all of the portfolios managed at Standard Life Investments.
- Also working independently of the MAIT, the investment governance team ensures the consistency and integrity of our investment process versus each specific portfolio mandate.
- The risk & exposures committee authorizes all investment instruments and counterparties that may be used, and monitors exposures.
Additionally, we carry out extensive checks daily, to ensure robust pricing of all our portfolios by our independent administrator and custodian.