- Investment Expertise
We are committed to supporting the insurance sector and have a dedicated insurance solutions team.
We’re finding that an increasing number of institutional, pension fund and high-net-worth investors are turning to private equity in order to enhance their portfolio performance.
- Our insight
The House View process provides a consistent macroeconomic framework to analysing global financial markets.
Our Head of Global Strategy, Andrew Milligan, introduces the latest edition of Global Outlook, a summary of our House View.
Standard Life Investments’ Global Strategy team provide regular analysis of the key economic data that has been influencing financial markets.
Our global strategists combine valuable experience, thorough research and analysis to tackle major issues of the moment.
Governance and stewardship is about making sure that companies’ operational processes and policies are robust and responsible.
- How we discharge our stewardship responsibilities
- Our policy for managing conflicts of interests
- How we monitor our investee companies
- Our guidelines for escalating engagement
- Our willingness to act collectively with other investors
- Our policy on voting and voting disclosure
- How we report on stewardship to our clients
We recognise the importance of transparency and accountability when it comes to our stewardship responsibilities. To this end, we have published an annual review of our governance and stewardship activities, which provides an account of how we have fulfilled our responsibilities. Please select the link below to view the 2015 annual review.2015 annual review
- Responsible Investment
We recognise that the management of environmental and social responsibilities is subject to many factors, and take into account the particular circumstances, industries and locations in which the companies operate.
We've produced guidelines on responsible investment to explain how we evaluate the environmental and social policies of the companies in which we are (or might be) an investor.
Our experience in operating across many different investment cycles and markets provides us with the context to manage change. Throughout these cycles, we have the people, philosophy and proficiency of process to plot what we believe is the right course for our clients’ assets.
- Secure content
Principle 7 - How we report on stewardship to our clients
We recognise the importance of being accountable to our clients and their advisers on stewardship and voting activities. We aim to provide transparency on our stewardship activities through our regular client reports and other information reported publicly online.
Our segregated pension fund clients receive quarterly reports detailing how we have voted their shares and, upon request, we provide our clients with customised reports on our engagement activities. On occasion, our engagement with investee companies may relate to matters which are confidential and disclosure of our engagement activity may be counterproductive or harm our clients' best interests. In such exceptional circumstances, confidentiality is paramount to achieving the stewardship objective and therefore, the engagement is not reported to our clients until it is appropriate to do so.
In addition to the reports described above, we provide full transparency of our voting activity on our website which is available publicly. We also publish an annual review of our governance and stewardship activities, which provides an account of how we have fulfilled our stewardship responsibilities. The latest Annual Review can be found here.
We also produce a Responsible Investment Quarterly report and White Papers on topical environmental and social issues, which include examples of research and engagement.
We are aware of the importance our clients and their advisers attach to our stewardship activities, including the effective operation of our engagement and voting processes. Therefore, we obtain appropriate independent assurance over the policies and procedures which underpin our stewardship policy statements. The assurance report is available here.
By clicking on the ‘accept’ option below, the reader agrees that:
1. PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP (“PwC”) accepts no liability (including liability for negligence) to the reader in relation to PwC’s report. The report is provided to the reader for information purposes only. If the reader relies on PwC’s report, they do so entirely at their own risk;
2. The reader will not bring a claim against PwC which relates to the access to the report by the reader;
3. Neither PwC’s report, nor information obtained from it, may be made available to anyone else without PwC’s prior written consent, except where required by law or regulation;
4. PwC’s report was prepared with Standard Life Investments' interests in mind. It was not prepared with the reader’s interests in mind or for their use. PwC’s report is not a substitute for any enquiries that the reader should make; and
5. These terms and any dispute arising from them, whether contractual or non-contractual, are subject to English law and the exclusive jurisdiction of English courts.Decline Accept